Sunday, December 30, 2012

December Socks

So like many people, all my socks this month were for other people, as gifts.  My brother requested a pair of heavy duty house socks, so I just used the Sock Knitters Handbooks to invent a toe-up pair of worsted weight socks for him.  I did a standard wedge toe, short row heel with wraps, and fifteen rounds of 3X3 ribbing (on a 48 st sock).  The stitch pattern is a 3 round repeat that was actually a dishcloth pattern I made awhile back, because he wanted something "like waffle weave."  I used Cascade Yarns Eco Alpaca in charcoal for the body, and Nashua Handknits Julia yarn in Geranium for the heel, toe and cuff...what a great yarn! Too bad it's discontinued, but it's 50% wool, 25% alpaca, 25% mohair--the perfect balance, and much stronger than the 100% alpaca for the high wear areas.  This is the best picture I could get, taken by my brother of his own feet:
I also finished a pair of socks for my sister, V Junkie from Socktupus, in Pagewood Farm Denali, colorway JF's Folly, but I don't have a picture of the completed socks.  HERE is the half finished sock on the project page... I think it was the perfect colorway for the pattern, and they fit her well.

Happy Knitting!!

Prizebird

No comments: